GMA Shipping Notice No: 002 SHIP COOK CERTIFICATE 2017
SHIP COOK CERTIFICATE
TheGhanaMaritime Authority wishes to inform seafarers and the maritime community that pursuant to Section 99 of theGhanaShipping Act, 2003 (Act 645) and Regulation 31(1) (d) of the Ghana Shipping (Maritime Labour) Regulations, 2015 (L.I 2226), any person desirous of pursuing a vocation as a cook on-board a merchant ship shall complete a training course approved by the Authority at the National Vocation Training Institute (NVTI).
In furtherance of the above, all prospective applicants who wish to undertake the course at NVTI must possess the following minimum requirements;
- BasicEducationCertificate Examination (BECE).
- Six months sea time in the galley/kitchen of a merchant ship.
- Valid familiarization and basic safety training certificate from the Regional Maritime University,Accrain compliance with Regulation VI/1 of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978 as amended. These basic safety training shall include;
- Personal Survival Techniques.
- Fire Prevention and Fire-Fighting.
- Elementary First Aid.
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities.
Valid ISPS certificate from the Regional Maritime University in compliance with Regulation VI/6 of the International Convention on Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978 as amended.
- Valid Medical Certificate issued by the Ghana Maritime Authority.
All interested persons should contact the Training, Examination and Certification (TEC) Unit of the Ghana Maritime Authority for further details.