Treatment of Sleep Deprivation
Learn how to handle depression and sleep deprivation.
Treatment of Sleep Deprivation.
The treatmentof sleep deprivation depends on its cause. It is best to first analyzethe cause by getting sleep diagnosed at a sleep clinic. You may have tospend a couple of nights at these clinics, but it’s well worth theeffort.
1.Bright-light treatment is used on those who fall asleep slowly in thenight and wake up late in the morning; and also for those who fallasleep on time but wake up very early. Melatonin is also used to treatsuch patients.
2. Many doctors first educate their patients onsleep etiquette. Patients are advised to try to self-cure theirsleep-deprivation and the doctor steps in when they cannot. Sleepetiquette involves following a proper sleep-awake schedule, not dozingoff during the day and staying off vigorous exercise late in theevening. It also includes learning light meditation techniques, doingthings that relax the body, avoiding alcohol and caffeine products andfollowing a healthy diet.
3. Sleep deprivationbecause of Sleep Apnea can be part-treated by putting the patient on aweight-loss program. Such patients are also encouraged to use a CPAP(Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) device that enables themexperience uninterrupted sleep.
4. Sleep deprivation due topregnancy is treated by encouraging patients to take afternoon naps,consuming warm milk, taking a hot bath before sleep and exercisingduring the day.
5. Children who are deprived of sleep are first comforted, and if psychological methods don’t work, then medications step in.
6.Sleeplessness due to lifestyle habits is treated by asking the patientto cut down on caffeine-products, colas, alcohol, smoking, andstress-causing situations.
7. People who exercise get bettersleep than people who lead a lethargic lifestyle. Hence, patients areencouraged to take up a regular exercise regimen.
8. If self-carefails, there are medications to fall back upon. Patients whose sleep isaffected by depression, mental illness and physiological problems needto take medications.