Instructions for replacing the agitator bolt on top loading direct drive washing machines made by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Sears, Roper, KitchenAid, Estate, Maytag, and Inglis.
Washing Machine Part: Agitator bolt with rubber gasket and thread sealant
Tools needed: flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, 7/16th socket, putty knife, pliers.
If your model has a rinse dispenser, you’ll need to remove it before you start.
1. If the dispenser has a lock ring, pull the ring up with your fingers, then twist the dispenser upwards to remove.
2. Next remove the agitator cap.
3. Use a flat head screwdriver to help pry it off.
4. Depending on your model, you may also need to remove a dust cap.
5. Now hold the agitator base and use a 7/16th socket to unscrew the old bolt.
6. Lift the agitator off of the drive shaft and tip to remove the old bolt and washer.
7. Insert the new bolt and washer into the top of the agitator.
8. Place the agitator back onto the drive shaft and secure it with the new bolt and washer.
9. Replace the dust cap if your model has one.
10. Replace the agitator cap.
11. If your model has a rinse dispenser, snap it on and press the lock ring down with your thumbs.
12. You’re now ready to turn on the appliance to make sure it’s functioning properly.