Instructions for replacing the agitator ring on top loading direct drive washing machines made by Whirlpool, Kenmore, Sears, Roper, KitchenAid, Estate, Maytag, and Inglis.
Washing Machine Part: Agitator Ring or Agitator thrust spacer
Tools needed: flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, pliers, putty knife, 7/16th socket.
If your model has a rinse dispenser, you’ll need to remove it before you begin.
1. If the dispenser has a lock ring, pull the ring up with your fingers, then twist the dispenser upwards to remove.
2. Next remove the agitator cap.
3. Use a flat head screwdriver to help pry it off.
4. Depending on your model, you may also need to remove a dust cap.
5. Hold the agitator base and use a 7/16th socket to remove the bolt and washer.
6. Now pull the agitator upwards to remove.
7. With the agitator on the floor, place both feet on the base and pull the top portion off to access the agitator ring.
8. Remove the old ring.
9. Install the new agitator ring by aligning the four tabs in the ring with the four slots in the agitator base so it rests flush against the rim.
10. Align the slots in the top of the agitator with the tabs in the base, and snap into position.
11. Place the agitator back onto the drive shaft and reinstall the bolt and washer.
12. If your model has a dust cap, replace it.
13. Replace the agitator cap.
14. If your model has a rinse dispenser, snap it on and press the lock ring down with your thumbs.
15. You’re now ready to turn on the appliance, to make sure it’s functioning properly.
Visit for More Washing Machine Parts