Dogs understand the tone of our voice more quickly than the meaning of our words.Their communication fits into three basic categories вЂ” whine, bark, growl.
Praise (вЂњHappy talkвЂќ)
- – High-pitched, enthusiastic
- – If praising correctly, Lizzie will respond by wagging tail.
- – find the tone that makes Lizzie look happy when you praise her.
Command (bark) mid-range to neutral
- – Not requesting, but telling Lizzie.
- – No nonsense, matter of fact, short words.
- – be direct when commanding
Corrective (growl) guttural tone
- – Never done with anger
- – use deep serious tone for corrections. NO YELLING.
- – Stay calm
- WhatвЂ™s My Dog Telling Me? Why Dogs Bark and What TheyвЂ™re Trying to Say
- Barking: What is Your Dog Really Saying?
- Maybe dogs really can talk!
- Wacky Product of the Week: Puppy Tweets
- What Are Dogs Trying to Say When They Bark?
- What Are Dogs Saying When They Bark? [Excerpt]