EA is flooding the internet withMadden NFL 18news, fully detailing and explaining all the new features and mechanics coming to the game. Today, the developer broke down the new Madden 18 “Target Passing” mechanic.
“NFL quarterbacks like Tom Brady have an uncanny ability to throw with precision. The Target Passing feature gives users that same ability with an advanced mechanic that simulates that control with a graphical target. Users can finally see their intended passing target while placing it anywhere on the field,” EA said.
With Target Passing, you’ll be able to actually place the ball in the most advantageous place for your receiver. In theory, the better you are at utilizing the Target Passing mechanic, the more efficient and tactical you’ll be at picking apart the defensive coverage.
While therecent gameplay trailerhighlighted this mechanic in action, here’s a more detailed breakdown:
- See exactly where the ball is going to go before the throw
- Lead shallow routes up the field before reaching the sideline
- Place the ball between zones, forcing your receiver to throttle down
- Lead the ball to where only your receiver can get it
- Throw timing routes before the cut or even while your receiver is being pressed
How to Use Madden NFL 18’s Target Passing Mechanic:
- Select your primary receiver: Pre-play, activate coach cam with RT/R2, and press the button of the desired receiver to make him the Primary Receiver on the play.
- Bring up your target: After the snap, hold LT/L2 and your target will come up as your Primary Receiver.
- Move the target: Use LS to move your target. As your target changes the QB will turn to face the target.
- Switch Targeted Receiver: While holding LT/L2, press the button of a receiver other than the receiver that is currently targeted, and the target will switch to that receiver.
- Throw to Receiver: Press the button of the receiver icon that is displayed. Use the same throw mechanics for lob, touch, and bullet.
- Neutral Target Passing: If you release LT/L2, then it becomes Neutral Target Passing. This allows you to press the button of the desired receiver and throw to him immediately instead of having to switch the target, then throw.
- Turn Off Target Passing: Simply press LT/L2 again and you turn off the Target Passing mechanic.
Note: Now that Target Passing is on LT/L2, low pass controls have changed. You now hold LB/L1 to activate the high low modifier, and push LS up or down to throw high or low.
Madden NFL 18 will release on August 25 on PS4 and Xbox One.